Thread: Generating double-deck compositions with Excel

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Generating double-deck compositions with Excel

Hello all!
    How can I get Excel to generate all possible double deck compositions in four-column card totals

Column 1 = aces (total n cards = 0 to 8)
    Column 2 = 789 (total n cards = 0 to 24)
    Column 3 = TJQK (total n cards = 0 to 32)
    Column 4 = 23456s (total n cards = 0 to 40)

Results woud look like...
    8/24/32/40
    8/23/32/40
    8/22/32/40
    …etc

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    Hello all!
    How can I get Excel to generate all possible double deck compositions in four-column card totals

Column 1 = aces (total n cards = 0 to 8)
    Column 2 = 789 (total n cards = 0 to 24)
    Column 3 = TJQK (total n cards = 0 to 32)
    Column 4 = 23456s (total n cards = 0 to 40)

Results woud look like...
    8/24/32/40
    8/23/32/40
    8/22/32/40
    …etc
    Hi Sec,

The ideal approach would be to generate a simple code in any programming language that contains
    four nested "for" loops and then import the output of this program into an Excel spreadsheet.
    For example:

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main() {
        int i, j, k, l;

for (i = 0; i <= 8; i++) {
            for (j = 0; j <= 24; j++) {
                for (k = 0; k <= 32; k++) {
                    for (l = 0; l <= 40; l++) {
                        printf("%2d,%2d,%2d,%2d\n", i, j, k, l);
                    }
                }
            }
        }

return 0;
    }
    In total, you will generate about 304,425 rows.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Cac
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

You can input to Excel if VBA is accessible to you:

1. Open Visual Basic Editor: Tools/Macro/Visual Basic Editor - shortcut is alt F11
    2. In VB Editor View/Project Explorer - shortcut is ctrl+r
    3. Right click in Project Explorer and choose Insert Module
    4. Paste this code in code module window

Code:
    Public Sub InputToExcel()
        Dim nA, n23456, n789, nT As Integer
        Dim n As Long

Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate
        Cells(1, 1).Value = "A"
        Cells(1, 2).Value = "23456"
        Cells(1, 3).Value = "789"
        Cells(1, 4).Value = "T"
        Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 4)).HorizontalAlignment = xlHAlignCenter
        Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 4)).Font.Bold = True
        Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 4)).Borders.LineStyle = xlDouble

n = 1
        For nA = 0 To 8
        For n23456 = 0 To 40
        For n789 = 0 To 24
        For nT = 0 To 32
            Cells(n + 1, 1).Value = nA
            Cells(n + 1, 2).Value = n23456
            Cells(n + 1, 3).Value = n789
            Cells(n + 1, 4).Value = nT
            Range(Cells(n + 1, 1), Cells(n + 1, 4)).HorizontalAlignment = xlHAlignCenter

n = n + 1
        Next nT
        Next n789
        Next n23456
        Next nA
    End Sub
    You can run code in VB Editor from Run Menu/Run Sub/UserForm - shortcut is F5.
    You can also run from main Excel Window Tools Menu/Macros/InputToExcel after code has been pasted in module.
    You will get 304425 rows of data. My version of Excel is limited to 65536 rows but I think newer versions can handle this.

good luck.

k_c
    "Perfection is the enemy of success."
    -Elon Musk-

Hello Cac and K_C

You guys are the best

I just found that the . xls file format has a limit of 65,536 rows (as stated by k_c) in each sheet, while the . xlsx file format has a limit of 1,048,576 rows per sheet.

You both stated that 304 425 was the expected number of rows. I realize that this is too much and somewhat impractical as decks are never dealt to the last card. So even with a DD game dealt to the 26th card, we will never encounter a situation with zero tens or zero 23456 cards. So, I set the minimums for 789s to 4, for Tens to 8, and for 23456s to 12.

I am not comfortable yet with “other programming languages”, or even VBA, but I just found a quick way around my problem with the random function. This is sufficient for my actual purpose, i.e. to design a training aid for fast multiparameter mental calculus. It just doesn’t yield a comprehensive and orderly result like you would get.

Thanks guys.

NOTE: I will give a shot at VBA k_c
    Last edited by Secretariat; 06-20-2024 at 07:21 AM.

Hello Cac and K_C

You guys are the best

I just found that the . xls file format has a limit of 65,536 rows (as stated by k_c) in each sheet, while the . xlsx file format has a limit of 1,048,576 rows per sheet.

You both stated that 304 425 was the expected number of rows. I realize that this is too much and somewhat impractical as decks are never dealt to the last card. So even with a DD game dealt to the 26th card, we will never encounter a situation with zero tens or zero 23456 cards. So, I set the minimums for 789s to 4, for Tens to 8, and for 23456s to 12.

I am not comfortable yet with “other programming languages”, or even VBA, but I just found a quick way around my problem with the random function. This is sufficient for my actual purpose, i.e. to design a training aid for fast multiparameter mental calculus. It just doesn’t yield a comprehensive and orderly result like you would get.

Thanks guys.

Hi Sec,

What I can do is send you a compressed file with the 304,425 lines (9*25*33*41) and you simply import it into Excel (.xlsx).
    Then, you delete all the lines whose sum is less than 39 or 52, for example.
    Send me an email and I will reply with the file.

Sincerely,
    Cac

Hey Cac! Here it is

[email protected]

Thanks
    Sent!

Hello Cac and K_C

You guys are the best

Thanks guys.

Why are you using xls format, this is really old , just switch to the XML xlsx version. This has been around since 2003! And you can have 1 million rows in it!
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Javascript is pretty easy, and accessible to everyone. You can write scripts for drills like basic strategy, indices, card counting, etc.
    Then when you get good at html you can add fancy formatting.
    This one generates your parameters at random. (I attached it because I couldn’t get the forum to accept javascript in a post. To see and edit the code, unzip it and open it with a text editor.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by iCountNTrack View Post
    Why are you using xls format, this is really old , just switch to the XML xlsx version. This has been around since 2003! And you can have 1 million rows in it!
    Can't answer for CAC or k_c but I am using xlsx.
    I never had to go to one million rows before.

Quote Originally Posted by BackCounter View Post
    Javascript is pretty easy, and accessible to everyone. You can write scripts for drills like basic strategy, indices, card counting, etc.
    Then when you get good at html you can add fancy formatting.
    This one generates your parameters at random. (I attached it because I couldn’t get the forum to accept javascript in a post. To see and edit the code, unzip it and open it with a text editor.)
    Nice to know.
    I came up with results like the ones below using the random function in Excel which are similar to your file.
    3 17 32 37
    8 21 24 23
    1 12 19 20
    6 20 25 35
    7 21 19 33
    3 8 26 34
    3 10 13 19
    8 24 27 18
    5 11 13 27
    3 10 12 35

Quote Originally Posted by iCountNTrack View Post
    I think Secretariat and probably most everyone else with Excel uses newer version. I think newer versions have VBA 7 while I have VBA 6. VBA 7 is backward compatible to VBA 6 so code should work. I believe VBA 7/6 are still pretty similar.

k_c
    "Perfection is the enemy of success."
    -Elon Musk-

Quote Originally Posted by k_c View Post
    I think Secretariat and probably most everyone else with Excel uses newer version. I think newer versions have VBA 7 while I have VBA 6. VBA 7 is backward compatible to VBA 6 so code should work. I believe VBA 7/6 are still pretty similar.

k_c
    VBA7 was introduced to address the issue of 64bit office support, it's not related to xls vs xlsx file format. The xlsx file format has been around since 2003. So I was questioning why was using an old format with 65K row max, bigger file sizes, slower to load etc.
    Chance favors the prepared mind