Quote Originally Posted by toolyp View Post
Of course, of course. You achieved a streak of 9 alright. Plus a streak of 8, a streak of 7, a streak of 6…a streak of 1. Which one you prefer? I prefer the one of 1 for losing streaks.

“at least” is a favourite of mine too. There is a formula for that too. The probability of heads/tails is 0.5 or 1 in 2. Based on your reasoning, we toss 2 times and get heads. Nope. The chance to get heads in 2 tosses is 0.75. The chance to get heads in 4 tosses is 95%. The chance to get heads in 7 tosses is 99%. The chance to get heads in 10 tosses is 99.9%.

It keeps going... But you don’t know how many streaks of 4, or 7, or 10 losses you get in a number n of trials. That was the point here. Number of streaks not probabilities for n losses/successes in a row. Streaks are real-life, events consisting of trials. Probabilities are numbers on a calculator.

No offence, just my honest opinion.
I will chime in. I want to see if I understand correctly what is being discussed. If I have the following streak from consecutive coin flips: HTTTTTTTTTTH, how many streaks of length 10 do you see? And of length 9?
Another question: above you said that in 1000 tosses of a fair coin it is not possible to obtain a streak of length 9 or longer, is that correct?
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Cac